A teenager was killed on Saturday after being attacked by a shark off Australia’s east coast in the second deadly attack this month, police said.
Zach Young, 19, was body boarding with three friends about 100 meters offshore at Riecks Point, near the northern New South Wales city of Coffs Harbour, when he was bitten on the legs, New South Wales police said in a statement. Young’s friends got him back to the beach, and bystanders tried in vain to save him before paramedics arrived, a New South Wales ambulance police spokeswoman said. Young had serious injuries to his legs and suffered cardiac arrest. Paramedics tried to resuscitate him, but he was pronounced dead a short time later.
Beaches in the area were closed for 24 hours. There was no information immediately available on the type of shark involved. It was the second deadly attack in Australia this month. On Nov. 23, a 35-year-old surfer was fatally mauled by a shark off a beach near the Western Australia community of Gracetown. Three surfers have been killed in Gracetown in the past decade.
A man has been attacked by a shark off Western Australia’s Gascoyne coast on Tuesday afternoon The attack occurred while he was surfing at Red Bluff near Quobba Station, 70 kilometres north of Carnarvon. The break is about 1,000 kilometres north of Perth.
The 34-year-old man received serious injuries but was conscious when he was brought ashore. The Department of Fisheries says the shark bit the surfer on the abdomen and as he tried to fend it off he was then mauled on the arm.
Rebecca Caldwell’s children were in the water when they noticed the man was injured, but she says they did not see the shark.
“The water was full of blood,” she said.
“He was conscious the whole way back though he was OK, he was good.
“He’s in good spirits, as well as he could be.”
Carnarvon Shire chief executive Maurice Battilana says the beach has since been closed. He has told the ABC it is in a remote area that is very popular with tourists.
“Extremely popular surfing and camping spot and we’re probably in the peak season, very popular surfing spot,” he said.
Police and the St John Ambulance were sent to the location and the man has been taken to Carnarvon Hospital. The Royal Flying Doctor Service is flying its crew from Meekatharra to Carnarvon and they will then fly the man to Perth for treatment. The RFDS says the man has serious injuries to his right arm and is in a stable condition.
There have been five fatal shark attacks in less than a year off WA’s coast.
A man has been attacked by a shark off Western Australia’s Gascoyne region, but is conscious as emergency services race to the remote location.
Police reported late on Tuesday that a person had been attacked by a shark about 200km south of Carnarvon, near Quobba Station.
The victim – believed to be a male surfer – suffered leg and abdominal injuries, but had been retrieved from the water and was conscious.
Emergency services are expected to take some time to attend the scene because it is a remote location.
“Initial reports suggest that the person is being conveyed by private car for assistance,” police said.
The Department of Fisheries was being sought for more information.
The attack comes six weeks after 24-year-old surfer Ben Linden was killed by a five metre great white shark some 160km north of Perth – the fifth fatal shark attack in WA waters in 10 months.
A man who was bitten by a shark off Eyre Peninsula in South Australia is recovering in the Royal Adelaide Hospital.
The man, 47, from Sceale Bay was surfing at Back Beach near Streaky Bay when he was bitten on his right arm.
Another surfer Jeff Schmucker said the man was pulled from the water by other surfers.
“The guy I ran into up the top he said there’d been a shark attack, he was yelling at me and he was definitely panicking,” he said.
“By the time I saw the other six guys that carried the victim on a surfboard they were shaken up and obviously quite puffed at getting through the heavy sand with carrying a guy on a surfboard.”
Locals think a bronze whaler shark may have attacked the surfer.
Mike Higgins, 42, was surfing when felt something brush against him in the water to find a shark biting his foot.
“I was surfing with a couple of mates and it brushed passed me,” he told Seven News.
“It had a little bite then let me go after a couple of seconds…I was pretty scared.”
Ambulance Victoria transported the man to Geelong Hospital after he presented himself at Timboon Hospital with a seven centimetre gash to his foot.
Higgins is expected to have surgery in the coming weeks.
A 33-year-old father-of-two has become WA’s latest fatal shark attack victim after setting off for a morning dive with his brother earlier today.
Peter Kurmann, from Vasse, was diving about 1600m off Stratham Beach, within Geographe Bay south of Bunbury, when he was attacked by a shark, believed to be 4m long, shortly before 9.30am today.
Mr Kurmann’s death is the fourth fatal shark attack in WA waters since September last year.
The Department of Fisheries launched a search for the shark with aerial and water patrols today and it will likely help identify the species of the shark by analysing bite marks.
A 20-year-old engineering student has been bitten by a shark while surfing at Nobby’s Beach on the Gold Coast.
Billy O’Leary was attacked by what is believed to be a small bull shark, Nine News reported.
He sustained deep puncture wounds to his lower calf and ankle, including a 30cm gash.
“I am down here on the beach and he seems to be doing fine at the moment — good as gold at the moment,” lifeguard Warren Young told the Gold Coast Bulletin.
The attack took place about 5pm AEST.
Mr O’Leary is believed to have fallen onto the shark while it was feeding on baitfish off the beach.
He has been taken to Gold Coast Hospital in a stable condition.
[source + video]